Diversity and Post Modern Art

As opposed to previous different eras and genres of art, Post modern artists came from many diverse backgrounds and demographics. I wanted to focus my research on the contemporary female artists that came from diverse backgrounds. 


The Dinner Party by Judy Chicago (1974-1979) Brooklyn, New York


Home Sweet Home by Judy Chicago (2000) New York

Judy Chicago was a very strong advocate for feminism and bringing women artists into a mostly male dominated industry. Of the two pieces by her here, I prefer The Dinner Party because of the amazing attention to detail, but I like them both because of the very transparent appreciation of diversity and different cultures in both of them. Each place setting at the table in the first piece represents a different region or culture, down to the stitching in the table runners. It also was a collaboration of many different artists. I also really enjoy the decision to make the table a triangle instead of a more traditional shape for a dinner table like a circle or rectangle, modernism was all about breaking away from tradition so I particularly liked that detail.



Dream Temple by Mariko Mori (1997-99) 


A still from Mariko Mori's Nirvana (1996-97)

Mariko Mori is a Japanese artist that was a big part of the emergence of diversity in the post modern art movement. I just want to say I am obsessed with the still from Mori's video Nirvana. In Buddhism the word nirvana refers to being in a transcendent state, which is kinda how I feel when I look at it. The almost pastel pink and peach tones and the details in the intricate head piece really captivate me.
  
Dream Temple was Mori's interpretation of a sacred Japanese Temple. Installation art was a big part of the post modern era and this is one of my favorites of all the ones I've seen. I love the pristine white  and subtle purple accents. It feels reminiscent of a dream with the soft lighting casting shadows. 

Wave Field by Maya Lin (1995) at the University of Michigan

Vietnam Veterans Memorial by Maya Lin (1982) Washington D.C.

Maya Lin is a Chinese artist that is known for her landscape art in the post modern era. I really enjoyed the contemporary art style of manipulating landscapes as art. In true post modern fashion it definitely broke away from tradition and traditional materials used for making art. 
The memorial Lin designed was initially controversial because it sparked debated over what was necessary to actually constitute an appropriate memorial. I however really like the simplicity of it. Lin stated that she essentially wanted it to appear as though there was a wound in the earth to represent the wound war leaves on a country.  I think it's design is beautiful as well as powerful.  





Works Cited



Comments